Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Giuliani

I saw Giuliuani speak early last year and at that point I'm not sure he realized that he was running for president.

He's gotten a whole lot meaner, and I think he's come to terms with it. I really like him and I like the way he presents himself and his positions. It would be a tough call between him and Fred Thompson for me at this point.

For example, I think this is spot-on:

When Army Gen. David Petraeus and U.S. Ambassador to Iraq Ryan Crocker came before the Senate Armed Services Committee on Tuesday, Clinton said that their claims of progress in Iraq require a "willing suspension of disbelief."

"Despite what I view is your rather extraordinary efforts in your testimony both yesterday and today," said Clinton, "I think that the reports that you provide to us really require a willing suspension of disbelief."

Giuliani accused Clinton of "playing into" a MoveOn.org ad that ran in the New York Times Monday that read: "General Petraeus or General Betray Us?"

After co-host Spiff Carner said, "She's trying to tell us that she knows more about the whole situation than he does,” Giuliani shot back by saying, “Doesn’t it also sound like she’s also saying that he isn’t telling the truth?”

"I really do think to accuse a general of the ‘willing suspension of disbelief,’ particular in the atmosphere that Moveon.org has created with these terrible attacks, I don’t know, I mean I think that’s not the way in a responsible way to go about , you know, forging the foreign policy of the United States and the military policy of the United States," said Giuliani. "I think this name calling, you know, saying to people, ‘willing suspension of disbelief,’ and then saying the horrible thing they said about betrayal -- that is the last thing we need right now."
First of all, what Hillary said doesn't even make sense. Read it again:
"Despite what I view is your rather extraordinary efforts in your testimony both yesterday and today," said Clinton, "I think that the reports that you provide to us really require a willing suspension of disbelief."
Not much better the second time around is it?

Secondly, Giuliani is right: making a career military officer out to be a political hack is only indicative of the lows democrats will stoop to. File this under the "we support the troops but not the war" idiocy folder.

Finally, this quote from a Clinton staffer is golden:
Senator Clinton will continue to ask the hard questions in an effort to get our troops home.
Apparently not only is Hillary unable to form grammatically correct sentences, her staff also doesn't seem to understand the difference between an assertion and a question.

1 comments:

SR said...

Actually, as I read it, the Democrats after hearing
Petraeus's testimony really should "suspend" (their
politically inspired) "disbelief" of what he had to say. The question is, whether they would do it "willingly."