Thursday, August 02, 2007

Unbelievable

At this point I'm really not sure whether this is a carefully choreographed misstep or simply the inevitable revelations under the bright lights of politics.

By DENNIS CONRAD Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) _ Democratic presidential hopeful Barack Obama said Thursday he would not use nuclear weapons "in any circumstance."

"I think it would be a profound mistake for us to use nuclear weapons in any circumstance," Obama said, with a pause, "involving civilians." Then he quickly added, "Let me scratch that. There's been no discussion of nuclear weapons. That's not on the table."
Can anyone really be that daft? He's put his foot in it three or four times in a row. I'd be way more comfortable with Hillary at the helm than him -- at least I know Hillary has the fortitude to use force if necessary. All we would need to do to guarantee an airstrike would be to generate a scandal about her in the media (ha).

At the same time, these mistakes are so egregious and amateurish that I smell a rat. How could anyone say
  • Invading Iraq was wrong
  • We should meet with our enemies no matter what
  • I will invade a country that has nuclear capability and is a putative ally
  • I will not use nuclear deterrence no matter what
and expect to keep any kind of credibility? Could this possibly be his way of bowing out? Perhaps he's made a deal with the Clinton campaign: I'll give up my second place spot for a guarantee of being VP?

After all, Clinton-Obama makes a whole lot more sense than Clinton-Edwards.

0 comments: