Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Russia threatens Czechs

Russia is doing more saber rattling: you can read it here. I won't bore you by repeating the details. There's not a lot of obfuscation going on that would need clarification. My readers are smart people.

There is an interesting point embedded in the article that I think merits review:

He said the Czech Republic should hold off making a decision until after the U.S. presidential election, scheduled to take place in late 2008. Incumbent George W. Bush will not be running.

"I and my Russian colleagues simply ask that that process continue through to October-November of 2008, and I think you can all guess why."

Asked by a reporter to clarify [this guy was clearly some kind of idiot], he said: "I do not exclude that a new administration in the United States will re-evaluate the current administration's decisions on missile defense."
Again, I understand that this is about as subtle as a punch to the groin. The only thing he didn't do here was wink repeatedly while nudging the reporters: "Ehh? Ehh? Ehhh???". But I just wanted to make sure you saw that again. It should doubleplus reaffirm that democrats are not strong on foreign policy. The world may revile Bush, they may hate his guts, they may think we're a bunch of bullying, strong-arm scumbags...but they don't mess with us.

Love or hate John McClane, you still wouldn't want to be Hans, right?

I think its pretty obvious here that the Russians are counting on Hillary to win. Then they'll have someone who is sympathetic with their world views in the White House, rather than someone who might -- just might -- say yippee-ki-yay mother$^%&@# in a do-or-die situation. Can you really see any of the "progressive" candidates enjoying Die Hard?

0 comments: