Thursday, August 23, 2007

Romney goof on abortion

Romney can't make up his mind about abortion. Earlier he said

We support a Human Life Amendment to the Constitution and we endorse legislation to make it clear that the 14th Amendment's protections apply to unborn children.
And yet Tuesday he said
I'd let states make their own decision in this regard. My view, of course, is I'm a pro-life individual. That's the position I support. But, I'd let states have this choice rather than let the federal government have it.
Either view is appropriate in my mind for a Republican candidate. I would prefer a national amendment because it matches my view. However, I think Roe v Wade should be overturned regardless because it was a terrible decision with a legal basis that was tenuous at best.

To be honest, Romney's latest line sounds like something directly out of Fred Thompson's mouth. I think thats rather odd because Romney is pretty much the only Republican candidate with a leg to stand on when it comes to conservative credentials.

0 comments: