Monday, November 13, 2006

And so it begins...

Sen. Levin (D - MI) is starting up the cut'n'run policy the Dems have promised us:

"First order of business is to change the direction of Iraq policy," said Sen. Carl Levin, a Michigan Democrat who is expected to be chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee in the new Congress.

Democrats will press President George W. Bush's administration to tell the Iraqi government that U.S. presence was "not open-ended, and that, as a matter of fact, we need to begin a phased redeployment of forces from Iraq in four to six months," Levin said on ABC's "This Week" program.

I do find it interesting, though, that they don't even want the phased retreat to even begin for another four to six months. Why that time period? Judging from the conditions over there, I wonder if that will actually be a good time to leave? There's been little in the news about Iraq -- its been peculiarly quiet, even for election season. I guarantee if something bad had happened the media would have been all over it, viewing it as another weapon to hit the GOP with.

I really would like to have access to the inside scoop over there. As I've said before, I'm not too sure that a phased withdrawal is all that far off (in August I predicted the possibility arising as early as November -- perhaps I was a mite optimistic).

0 comments: