Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Ignorance Journal #3

Another journal entry. This week's topic, fraternization and friendship's impact on morale.

Read it

It is clearly apparent that there are times when it is inappropriate to be friends with your subordinates. At the same time, leaders must be affable and approachable in order to maintain both good morale and good communication. I think there's a certain art to it, and I've only seen it well done a few times. I don't really know how to describe it, but good leaders seem to be involved but not active, participating but not show-stealing. I don't know what this quality is really defined as. Its not aloofness, because that conveys a sense of haughtiness that I don't want to imply. It definitely has to do with the fact that the person in charge needs to be able to break contact immediately if necessary to deal with any situations that may come up. If they are the pivotal character in their current activity, this would cause problems.

I don't know a good way to properly define this sort of behavior in a generalized way. This makes it difficult to explain both to myself and others. I suspect that there is something of an art to it, as good leaders often do things without really being able to explain why.

0 comments: