As an update to my glacier article on Big Lizards:
- Global warming is real, man-made, and catastrophic; every scientist who doesn't actually drool not only admits this, he wants to know why Bush hasn't issued an executive order smashing the looms already.
- We know this because, for one reason, glaciers began retreating and shrinking the very instant the Industrial Revolution really kicked off in the 1940s.
- Well actually, they began retreating in Africa about 120 years ago, before there was hardly any industrial-created CO2 in the atmosphere; but that's beside the point.
- And as a matter of fact, glaciers have actually been expanding in New Zealand, North America, and Norway.
- But coincidentally enough, it turns out that expanding glaciers are also signs of global warming! Mirabile dictu!
- And while we're on the subject, Greenland has actually been cooling since about 1940 -- having earlier experienced a brief, ten-year spurt of warming in which the annual surface air temperature jumped up between 2°C and 4°C.
- But that's all right, because cooling is also a sign of global warming; that's why we renamed it "global climate change," dummy!